Monday, February 13, 2012

Quinoa (keen-wah)!



     Last December we spent a weekend in Leavenworth. I love it there! It seems that your in a different country when your in Leavenworth, its so lively and gorgeous! The thing Jay-Bird and I love to do as a couple every time we're on a vacation or just a few days away from home, is EAT! We're definitely Foodies! I am not really a fan of shopping, other than when its for groceries or something; I don't limit myself too when it comes to food. I love to taste my money (don't take it literally please). So at the end of our trip to Leavenworth last year, we made a reservation at the restaurant in the hotel we were staying at. I had a big piece of New York steak, roasted veggies, a glass of red wine and something I hadn't had before. This new food was weird, it simply looked like a bunch of grains on my plate. These strange grains, happened to be Quinoa (keen-wah), and after tasting it, I was hooked. What was really amazing to me was how high in protein it was, it was around 14% protein.
     So when we got back, we went to the grocery to find some Quinoa, but I couldn't find it anywhere, and eventually I ended up purchasing it online. I hope you all enjoy Quinoa as much as I do, and as always remember to cook with your heart!

Ingredients: 
     Place Quinoa in a fine strainer and wash it under running cold water for 1 minute to avoid the bitter taste.
  • 1/2 cup Quinoa
  • 1 cup beef broth
  • 1 stalk celery (thinly sliced)
  • 1 small size carrots (thinly sliced)
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • Pinch of kosher salt and pepper
  • Scallions for garnish
Procedure:
  1. Heat pan in a medium high and add olive oil.
  2. Saute carrots and celery for 1 minute.
  3. Mix in Quinoa and beef broth, allowing it to boil.
  4. Lower heat and simmer for 17 minutes.
  5. Pinch of kosher salt and pepper, turn off heat.
  6. Enjoy!

-Love-

No comments:

Post a Comment