Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Halloween in both worlds!


     What comes to your mind when you hear the word “Halloween”? 

     Chocolates? Trick or Treat? Costumes? Halloween party's? Jack-o-lantern carving? Ghost stories? Horror movies? Or Candy Apples? These are just a few things that I associate with American homes on Halloween.

    This is my third year celebrating Halloween in the States. My first year in 2009, I remember asking my husband “When are we going to the cemetery?”, and what did I get? A blank, confused J Bird with a what-the-hell-are-you-talking-about look on his face. It was such a awkward moment, one that opened my eyes, that maybe, just maybe, they don’t do the same thing we do back home. So that night he gave me an overview as to how they celebrate Halloween here. Kids would show up knocking on your door and you hand them bags of candies. He also told me to look for a costume that I would like to wear for a friends Halloween party. But Damn! My ass that time, it was just freezing cold, and I couldn't force myself to go. I feel asleep on the couch waiting for trick or treaters to show up, but duh who would dare climb up our 18 stairs to the front door for some bag of candies? Probably some desperate, and tough kids with a sugar problem (lol). So to make my funny story short I had my first Halloween party last year. Being a Criminology graduate, I wore a policewoman costume with J Bird as my prisoner. And this year I was a Dark Angel and J Bird was a Vampire. I just love the thought of living a dream for a day.

     Anyhow, this article is really special to me since this tells a lot of where I came from, the tradition and our culture. Coming from a very religious country where the population is at least 80% Catholic, Halloween is also one big annual celebration, but in the Philippines we treat it more like a family reunion. Members of the family who work away from home usually return to spend this time of the year with the rest of the family; both the living and the dead.(Yes you read that right! Specially the DEAD!). From a Catholics point of view November 1st and 2nd in the Philippines is specially dedicated to commemorate our loved ones who have passed away. We go to the cemeteries to clean the graves of our departed family members, repainting their tombstones, pulling out weeds and sweeping the family plot. I remember back before I moved, the cemetery was always packed! Hundreds of police men would be deployed to the local cemeteries to keep the peace and order of the place.

     Some of the things we Filipinos do during this time of the year is to offer candles, prayers and flowers to our loved ones grave. We also bring a variety of native delicacies such as suman, biko, puto, and a lot more. Mostly grandmas and moms are in charge of the food, from planning the menu, to grocery shopping and cooking. Some people set up a tent for overnight vigil at the cemetery. This is the perfect night where grandchildren gather around their grandma's rocking chair listening to her ghost stories; and only grandma knew if they were real or made-up. But hey, whatever it was, who cares we had fun (LOL!) . On a lighter note, playing cards and other board games works perfect for kids too, while mahjong is for adults. I remember before the law was amended, in the early 90's, the cemeteries had carnivals and some even put barricades around the basketball court for late night Dancing! We used to pay 10 pesos ( which is about $.25) as entrance fee. The Halloween party would usually last til 4 in the morning. It would oftentimes be sunrise when we would leave the cemetery. After a whole night of dancing, together with a group of friends and cousins we start walking a long ways back home. I can still smell the aroma of hot cocoa around the neighborhood. The smoke coming from each house, which signifies that the moms are awake and cooking breakfast. I think that is one of the most unforgettable moments that I will cherish forever. Only in the Philippines!

-Love-

No comments:

Post a Comment