Monday, October 10, 2011

First Taste!


Mabuhay!

Welcome to my blog, Lovely's Cooking! The main purpose of this site is to share my story, my passion for cooking, and my wonderful journey in this “Dreamland” called AMERICA!

I am a full blooded Filipino. I was born and raised in Dumaguete City, Negros Oriental which is considered the “City of Gentle People”. I am very proud to have been born on 1 of the 7,107 beautiful islands in the Philippines which is located in South-East Asia. But it wasn't until seven years ago that my journey really began, when I meet a wonderful man on the Internet. We eventually became friends, our friendship grew more and more, and after four years of talking, and numerous emails we meet in person. The year after, on one knee, he proposed to me. Then the next thing I know, I was on the plane bound for Washington, where my journey has continued on.

While the majority of my passion for cooking comes from my family and friends who have helped me over the years, it was the absence of the food I loved back home that got me motivated to keep cooking. The first year of being a wife was a struggle, I didn't know where to find specialty items, I couldn't easily get to stores, and I found myself frustrated. I was so shocked by how different everything was, it was so surreal to me. We often times ate out at fancy restaurants, dinners, and fast food chains when all I wanted was something from back home. It only took me a few days of being in the states to miss rice, and when I got the courage to ask my husband for some rice, he got me Minute Rice; rice in a box? are you kidding me! That was when it started to all sink in, I was in the USA, where there is a box or canned version of everything. For example, just a few days ago I even saw chicken in a can on a Food Network show; oh my!

The funny thing about all of this, is that after two years of my husband pushing me to have a blog, it only took one fine Saturday night for my wonderful Mother-in-law to convince to have one, oh well... as they all say “Mother Knows Best”! So here I am now launching my first blog, Lovely's Cooking!

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, and I hope you will continue to join me as I explore the art of cooking.

-Love-

1 comment: